ORGANIZERS, JURY AND PARTICIPANTS
The Golden Turtle Festival and all of its trademarks are owned by the “MY EQUATOR” Charity Fund. © 2017 “MY EQUATOR” Charity Fund. All rights reserved.
Judges and experts commission are constituted by the organizer and the final decision about the works, accepted by them, isn't subject to the appeal. Any author can be the participant of competition, except organizers of the competition, the announced judges if its works meet competition requirements. Open to all photographers worldwide. Official languages of competition are Russian and English.
Author (photographer) - the person made a photo and submitted it to a competition and subsequent exhibitions with whom further all organizational questions will be solved.
Photo (work, a picture, the image) – a picture made a camera, satisfying terms and being the property of the author.
The graphic editor – any computer program helping digital processing of a photo.
RAW — format RAW is understood that the data received directly from a matrix without processing. This format confirms authenticity and integrity of a picture. For the pictures made on the film technics, in case of hit in a semi-final additional procedure will be offered.
THE MAIN STAGES OF THE PHOTO CONTEST
• Completion of the artwork registration 30.06.2017
• Completion of the preliminary selection 30.07.2017
• Receiving originals and RAW-files 31.07.2017 – 13.08.2017
• Semi-finals 14.08.2017 – 25.08.2017
• Finals 26.08.2017 – 31.08.2017
• Special nominations 01.09.2017 – 07.09.2017
• People's Choice Award 01.09.2017 – 14.09.2017
• Award Ceremony 13.10.2017
• Exhibition in Moscow (23 days) 14.10.2017 – 05.11.2017
• Exhibition in St. Petersburg (16 days) 18.11.2017 – 03.12.2017 (preliminary dates)
REGISTRATION OF AUTHORS AND WORKS
Registration of authors and works occurs on a competition web-site "Golden Turtle" in corresponding section, under specially established form.
At the first stage the author of works is registered then login and the password are sent to the author’s e-mail.
At the second stage the author has the right to begin process of registration his own works, their editing, deletion and loading of new works.
Primarily the author chooses a nomination to which represents work. Further, at input of own works, the author should consider technical requirements:
-File format – JPEG;
-The sizes: for horizontal works – 1400 pixels across; for vertical works – 1400 pixels on a vertical; file size – no larger than 600 kB;
-Works shouldn't have any author's, watermarks. You may not use any kind of frame or border. No heavily cropped photos.
-For participation in competition the works accompanied by the following information are accepted:
-Title for each image;
-The description of conditions of shooting (shooting idea, interesting features, the difficulties accompanying process of shooting, feature of behavior of object);
-The description of used technics (model of camera, a lens, in accordance with your desire it is possible to specify the name of other equipment);
-Shooting parameters (endurance, a diaphragm, a photosensitivity, etc.);
-Kind of the animal represented in a picture (is desirable).
STAGES, RESPONSIBLE PARTIES, DEADLINES AND RULES FOR ASSESSING THE ARTWORK
Registration of works
Done by: the administration of the photo contest; online
Timeframe: from the start of the registration until June 30, 2017
Rules: Done based on the approved and published standards. All selected works receive the REGISTERED status (a.k.a. accepted into the competition). The authors are notified of the status update.
Deliverable: an image bank of registered artwork
Done by: the members of the Jury of Peers; online
Timeframe: from the start of the registration until June 30, 2017
• The Jury of Peers is formed from the competition finalists of the past years (5-7 people in each nomination), as well as the experts, who have declined the offer to join the professional jury, and preferred to submit their artwork to the contest as participants
• Participation in the Jury of Peers does not prevent the members from submitting their artwork to the contest as participants
• The assessment is based on a 10-point scale and is carried out in the member’s private online account
• The members of the Jury of Peers have an opportunity to change their assessments during the entire pre-selection period
• Based on the assessment results, the system automatically generates a TOP-100 list in each nomination out of the works, that received the highest total score according to the results of the assessment by all the members of the Jury of Peers
• The selected works receive the SEMI-FINALISTS status; authors are notified of the status update and receive a request to provide the full-size files (original artwork), the source files (RAW files) and the text descriptions of their works. All information received is published in the Jury of Peers members’ private online accounts.
• The Expert Council of the Festival may decide to change the nomination for the works that received the highest score (in the event that the author was mistaken with the choice of the nomination)
Deliverable: an image bank of the TOP-100 works in each nomination, published in the professional jury members’ private online accounts
Done by: the members of the professional jury; online
Timeframe: August 14-25, 2017
• A professional jury (5 to 9 people) is formed out of professional photographers, winners and runner-ups of international photo contests, editors of well-known international wildlife publications
• Participation in the professional jury does not allow its members to participate in the competition as authors by submitting their artwork
• The assessment is based on a 10-point scale and is carried out in the member’s private online accounts
• The highest and lowest scores for each photo are not included in the final score
• The results of the assessment of each member of the professional jury are published in the member’s private online accounts of the contest semifinalists (the authors can only see the scores of the their own artwork)
• Based on the target number of finalists for exhibiting during the Festival (the decision is made annually by the Expert Council of the Festival), a "passing score" is established
• All works in each nomination that have received a "passing score" and above undergo an additional check by the expert commission of well-known biologists and experts in the field of professional photo processing (2-3 people) to establish compliance with the ethical standards of interaction with the subject of photography and non-excessive use of photo editing software
• After passing this verification, all works in each nomination that have received a "passing score" and above become the finalists
• The authors are notified of the status update; the works are published in the professional jury member’s private online accounts without the scores assigned during the previous stages of selection
Deliverable: the list of the finalists (100-150 photos), published in the professional jury member’s private online accounts
Done by: by members of the professional jury; online
Timeframe: August 26-31, 2017
• Each of the members of the professional jury forms their personal TOP-3 rating of the best works in each nomination
• The system automatically selects 3 works that have received the maximum number of votes from the members of the professional jury in each nomination, which subsequently become the winners of the "gold", "silver" and "bronze" awards. In the event that several works have received an equal number of votes, an additional vote is taken on them by all members of the professional jury
• Authors of artwork that has won in one or more nominations, as well as authors who won in two or more nominations themselves, are nominated for the Photographer of the Year award
• The winner of the Photographer of the Year award is voted on by the members of the professional jury
Deliverable: a list of winners of the "gold", "silver" and "bronze" awards in each nomination, as well as the winner of the "Photographer of the Year" award (if established), published in the professional jury member’s private online accounts
Done by: the partners of the Festival, who have established special nominations
Timeframe: September 01-07, 2017
• The partners of the Festival, who have opted for an appropriate sponsorship package, has the right to establish their own nominations (upon approval from the Expert Council of the Festival)
• After the final selections are finished by the members of the professional jury, the partners of the Festival get access to all the finalists that did not become winners in the basic nominations and pick the works they wish to award (the level of access depends on the nomination).
Deliverable: an additional list of winners in the special nominations
The People's Choice Award
Done by: the online community; on the contest website
Timeframe: September 01-14, 2017
• After the selection is completed, a full list of semi-finalists, that did not qualify for the finals, is published on the contest website
• Votes are cast by sending a text message to a charitable phone number. All proceeds go to the statutory activities of the "MY EQUATOR" Charity Fund
• Through the People's Choice Award 10 more works qualify to be exhibited during the Festival
• The voting results are published on the contest website
Deliverable: a list of additional 10 works to participate in the Festival exhibition published on the contest website
The advantages of the new Artwork Assessment System are its informational value and full transparency:
1. Each contestant is able to see the scores for each of their works by each member of the jury, published in their private online accounts. This transparent approach gives participants an incentive for further improvement.
2. After completing the assessment forms, each jury member has an opportunity to access the evaluation forms of their colleagues and compare their evaluation approach. This feature eliminates the need for additional personal correspondence.
3. Making the assessment forms public helps avoid the "ghost voter" phenomenon, when the expert is formally listed on the jury, but does not take actual part in the evaluation.
4. After the announcement of the winners, the TOP-50 ranking of the best works in each nomination are published on the contest website. This allows the participants to see their positions in the international professional community.
Total number of the photos sent by the author on competition, can’t be more than 20. In a nomination "Landscape" - no more than 5 photos. No image may be entered in more than one nomination.
Photos must be get in last three years.
EDITING OF IMAGES BY GRAPHIC EDITORS
Image cropping, but no more than on 50 % from the original area is supposed. Editing of images in any graphic editor is supposed. Any editing of the image contribute to it truthful is supposed.
Work isn't accepted to participation in competition "Golden Turtle", if
• work doesn't correspond to the requirements specified in different points of the present Rules;
• organizers will suspect that the picture has been made by means of cruel and unethical methods of the reference with animals;
• use of obscene words in the description of picture;
• the shot represents compilation from several shots (exept for a nomination "Landscape");
• frame was made in a zoo or other similar establishments (except for a nomination "Man and the nature");
• images that have been awarded in any national or international competition at the time of entry.
House pupils (cats, dogs, mice, rabbits, sheep, horses, etc.) aren't representatives of the wild nature, therefore their images aren't accepted for participation in competition.
Organizers of competition reserve the right not to accept to participation the works which do not meet the guidelines of the competition and a technological level, without assigning any reasons.
The photographer must be the sole author and owner of the copyright of all submitted pictures. By participating in this competition, the photographer agrees that his/her pictures may be used, free of charge, by "Golden Turtle", in exhibitions and publications of the organizers and in any purposes connected with carrying out of the competition.
Organizers of competition have the right:
• inclusion within the Website of competition "Golden Turtle" and official groups in social networks;
• to give in unpacked or a digital form of work for estimation of jury;
• to use works of finalists in unpacked or a digital form at competition exhibitions "Golden Turtle";
• to use works of finalists in any printing and electronic mass-media for informing of the public on carrying out of competition and its results;
• to use works of finalists for preparation of photo albums, information booklets, digital carriers and other production which is accompanying competition and exhibitions and being an integral part of their carrying out;
• to use works of finalists in the future for marketing and promotional purposes of the event devoted to popularization of competition;
• to offer authors different variants of commercial use of their photos.
Founders of competition oblige to specify a name of the author of work if it’s used in any kind.
Any commercial use is possible only by the consent of the author.
The exhibition copies printed at the expense of means of organizers of competition "Golden Turtle" for demonstration at an exhibition, remain with organizers and can be used them within the limits of activity of the “MY EQUATOR” Charity Fund.
Granting of originals of works automatically is the consent with rules of competition and the above-stated conditions.
ORIGINALS OF WORKS
In case of work hit in a semi-final the author should give a RAW-file, and also specially prepared for the press of the big format the file corresponding to work sent earlier on competition. Term of granting of files – two weeks after reception of the corresponding letter. After letter reception on the electronic address specified at registration, informing on an exit in a semi-final, the author gives to organizers files through the special form which is in a private office of the author.
1) RAW files;
2) the images prepared for printing corresponding to following requirements:
Format – JPEG or TIFF;
Definition – 300 dpi;
Work framing should be the same, as in a web-variant presented for participation in competition and estimated by experts and jury.
The name of the file containing the image, should correspond to the work name (for example work "Flying bird", instead of IMG_1274.jpg).
In case of impossibility of preparation of the qualitative image for an exhibition work remove from display, without deleting it from among finalists.
Originals of works will be used in the several purposes:
For prints of photos of juries necessary for work;
For preparation of a total photo album (each author, whose work are presented in a photo album, receive on an album copy);
For preparation of exhibition copies of works;
For preparing archive of finalists of competition «Golden turtle».
Photo Competition “Golden Turtle 11”
Photo Competition submission begins on September 1, 2016
Photo Competition submission ends on June 30, 2017
Announcement of results, the beginning of exhibition tour – 2017.