Registration of works
Done by: the administration of the photo contest; online
Timeframe: from the start of the registration until June 30, 2017
Rules: Done based on the approved and published standards (see: http://www.wncontest.ru/en/photo/rules/). All selected works receive the REGISTERED status (a.k.a. accepted into the competition). The authors are notified of the status update.
Deliverable: an image bank of registered artwork
Done by: the members of the Jury of Peers; online
Timeframe: from the start of the registration until June 30, 2017
- The Jury of Peers is formed from the competition finalists of the past years (5-7 people in each nomination), as well as the experts, who have declined the offer to join the professional jury, and preferred to submit their artwork to the contest as participants.
- Participation in the Jury of Peers does not prevent the members from submitting their artwork to the contest as participants.
- The assessment is based on a 10-point scale and is carried out in the member’s private online account.
- The members of the Jury of Peers have an opportunity to change their assessments during the entire pre-selection period.
- The members of the Jury of Peers do not have the opportunity to evaluate their own photos. Instead, the average score from the ratings of this photo of other members of the Jury of Peers is added to the score.
- Based on the assessment results, the system automatically generates a TOP-100 list in each nomination out of the works, that received the highest total score according to the results of the assessment by all the members of the Jury of Peers.
- The selected works receive the SEMI-FINALISTS status; authors are notified of the status update and receive a request to provide the full-size files (original artwork), the source files (RAW files) and the text descriptions of their works. All information received is published in the Jury of Peers members’ private online accounts.
- The organizers of the Festival may decide to change the nomination for the works that received the highest score (in the event that the author was mistaken with the choice of the nomination).
Deliverable: an image bank of the TOP-100 works in each nomination, published in the professional jury members’ private online accounts
Done by: the members of the professional jury; online
Timeframe: August 14-25, 2017
- A professional jury (5 to 9 people) is formed out of professional photographers, winners and runner-ups of international photo contests.
- Participation in the professional jury does not allow its members to participate in the competition as authors by submitting their artwork.
- The assessment is based on a 10-point scale and is carried out in the member’s private online accounts.
- The highest and lowest scores for each photo are not included in the final score.
- The results of the assessment of each member of the professional jury are published in the member’s private online accounts of the contest semifinalists (the authors can only see the scores of the their own artwork).
- Based on the target number of finalists for exhibiting during the Festival (the decision is made annually by the organizers of the Festival), a "passing score" is established.
- All works in each nomination that have received a "passing score" and above undergo an additional check by the expert commission of well-known biologists and experts in the field of professional photo processing (2-3 people) to establish compliance with the ethical standards of interaction with the subject of photography and non-excessive use of photo editing software.
- After passing this verification, all works in each nomination that have received a "passing score" and above become the finalists.
- The authors are notified of the status update; the works are published in the professional jury member’s private online accounts without the scores assigned during the previous stages of selection.
Deliverable: the list of the finalists (100-150 photos), published in the professional jury member’s private online accounts
Done by: by members of the professional jury; online
Timeframe: August 26-31, 2017
- The winners are determined through the use of the double-rating system.
- Each of the members of the professional jury forms their personal TOP-3 rating of the best works in each nomination (1st place = 3 points, 2nd place = 2 points, 2rd place = 1 point).
- The system automatically selects 3 works that have received the maximum number of votes from the members of the professional jury in each nomination, and forms a separate list of works that were included in the jury’s TOP-3 lists the most. If these lists coincide with each other, these works subsequently become the winners of the "gold", "silver" and "bronze" awards. In the event that these lists do not coincide, additional voting is taken amongst the works slotted for the 3 top swards. In the event that several works have received an equal number of votes, an additional vote is taken on them by all members of the professional jury.
- Authors of artwork that has won in one or more nominations, as well as authors who won in two or more nominations themselves, are nominated for the Photographer of the Year award.
- The winner of the Photographer of the Year award is voted on by the members of the professional jury.
Deliverable: a list of winners of the "gold", "silver" and "bronze" awards in each nomination, as well as the winner of the "Photographer of the Year" award (if established), published in the professional jury member’s private online accounts
Done by: the partners of the Festival, who have established special nominations
Timeframe: September 01-07, 2017
- The partners of the Festival, who have opted for an appropriate sponsorship package, has the right to establish their own nominations (upon approval from the organizers of the Festival).
- After the final selections are finished by the members of the professional jury, the partners of the Festival get access to all the finalists that did not become winners in the basic nominations and pick the works they wish to award (the level of access depends on the nomination).
Deliverable: an additional list of winners in the special nominations
The People's Choice Award
Done by: the online community; on the contest website
Timeframe: September 01-14, 2017
- After the selection is completed, a full list of semi-finalists, that did not qualify for the finals, is published on the contest website.
- Votes are cast by sending a text message to a charitable phone number. All proceeds go to the statutory activities of the "MY EQUATOR" Charity Fund.
- Through the People's Choice Award 10 more works qualify to be exhibited during the Festival.
- The voting results are published on the contest website.
Deliverable: a list of additional 10 works to participate in the Festival exhibition published on the contest website
The advantages of the new Artwork Assessment System are its informational value and full transparency:
- Each contestant is able to see the scores for each of their works by each member of the jury, published in their private online accounts. This transparent approach gives participants an incentive for further improvement.
- After completing the assessment forms, each jury member has an opportunity to access the evaluation forms of their colleagues and compare their evaluation approach. This feature eliminates the need for additional personal correspondence.
- Making the assessment forms public helps avoid the "ghost voter" phenomenon, when the expert is formally listed on the jury, but does not take actual part in the evaluation.
- After the announcement of the winners, the TOP-50 ranking of the best works in each nomination are published on the contest website. This allows the participants to see their positions in the international professional community.